Meet the Staff

St Bernadette’s Primary and Nursery Staff – Our first staff meeting !  May 2nd 2012

Staff Biographies

Headteacher – Cathy Quinn  

I am very lucky to be the Headteacher of St Bernadette’s Primary.  I was previously the Headteacher in Sacred Heart Primary in Grangemouth; I worked there for eight very happy years.

I live in Cumbernauld and I have one very badly behaved dog;  a Jack Russell named Penny.  My favourite book is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.  My favourite films are: Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music and the Jungle Book.

My wish for our school is that it becomes a vibrant exciting school where children are happy and learning new skills every single day.

Principal Teacher – Marianne Savage

My name is Marianne Savage and I am going to be the Principal Teacher in St Bernadette’s.  I currently teach in St Nicholas Primary School, Broxburn, where I have been based for the last 14 years.  I have experience of teaching stages throughout the school from nursery to primary 7.

I have one pet dog, Gypsy, who is 11 years old.  My favourite book is ‘Memory, Sorrow and Thorn’ by Tad Williams and my favourite movie is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  I love a wide range of music but my favourite song is ‘Willow’ by Joan Armatrading.

When I am in St Bernadette’s I could offer a recorder after school club or be part of the Eco Club.  My wish for St Bernadette’s is to be a happy, vibrant, co-operative learning community, where every person achieves success.

Teachers:

Elaine Allen

Hi, I am Miss Allen and I am going to be a Class Teacher in St Bernadette’s. I have several years teaching experience and I am looking forward to working in a brand new school with all the lovely boys and girls! Before I became a teacher I went travelling around the world so I have lots of good stories to share with you. My favourite author is Jeremy Strong because I think his books are very funny and I like to have a laugh when I read. At weekends I like watching movies, especially Shrek and The Lion King. For the past 2 years I have coached an after-school netball team so I am really excited about possibly continuing to do this in St Bernadette’s. My wish is that St Bernadette’s school allows every pupil’s dreams to come true! 🙂

Veronica Cully

Hello St. Bernadette’s!

I’m thrilled to be joining the team at St. Bernadette’s as I know it will be an exceptional, innovative and very happy school! I’ve been really lucky to work at two excellent schools; Sacred Heart, Grangemouth and St. Patrick’s, Denny.  As St. Patrick’s was my own primary school I will be sad to leave but I am really looking forward to working in a brand new school in my home town.

I can’t have a pet as they make me sneeze but my children Clare, Antony and Erin are always hounding me (no pun intended) for a dog and they’ve even named him Rico!

My hobbies are reading, painting and spending time with family and friends. I’m the youngest of seven children so being part of a big family keeps me busy with lots of family get-togethers.  I read a book almost every week so it’s difficult to choose a favourite but ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ is a classic and a brilliant story.  Erin and I have just read ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’ together and we were both in tears at the end of this sad tale.

My favourite films for all the family are: It’s A Wonderful Life, Elf and Monsters Inc.  I looked through my iPod and decided that it is too hard to pick the best song.  But a few are: Two Little Boys by Rolf Harris (shameful), What a Wonderful Life by Louis Armstrong, Where is the Love by The Black Eyed Peas and Handbags and Gladrags by Rod Stewart. But don’t ask me to sing any of them!

After school clubs I’m interested in are Eco/gardening, Art and ICT but I’m happy to help out with any new projects. It’s an exciting time!

Lisa Morrow

My name is Lisa Morrow and I am very excited about being a class teacher in St Bernadette’s Primary School.  I completed my BEd in Primary Education at Glasgow University and I have now worked as a class teacher within Falkirk Council for seven years. I am currently teaching a primary one class.

I have a little kitten called Mylo who is always full of mischief.  Sometimes I think Mylo thinks he is a dog as he likes to play fetch. At the weekends I love going to the cinema and watching films. A few of my favourites are Avatar, E.T.  and Lord of the Rings. To keep active I often go out jogging with my friends and I really like going to Zumba classes.

I have organised and facilitated many after school clubs, such as netball and dancing. I look forward to the opportunity to continue these in St Bernadette’s.

My wish for St Bernadette’s would be to establish a supportive and caring learning environment where happy children achieve success.

I look forward to meeting you all soon!

Miss Morrow 🙂

John Cloherty

My name is John Cloherty and I will be a class teacher at St Bernadette’s Primary School.   I completed a one year probationary period at St Francis Xavier’s Primary School and thereafter was appointed on a permanent basis at Kinnaird Primary School.  I was lucky enough to be part of the team who worked together to establish Kinnaird Primary and I am very excited to be doing this for a  second time.  Throughout the years I have been teaching I have had the opportunity to teach a variety of stages.  I was also a drama specialist for a short period of time.

I have no pets at the moment but had a Labrador when I was a child.  I enjoy reading and like to read autobiographies. I enjoy watching films from the James Bond series.  I would say I have an eclectic music taste but love anything by Kylie Minogue. 🙂

I have been part of a team in St Francis and Kinnaird who runs after school drama clubs.  We have put on productions of ‘Oliver’ and ‘The Wizard of Oz’.  We are currently working with a group of children to showcase ‘Annie’.

My wish for St Bernadette’s is for it to become a fun, welcoming and happy environment where children’s talents and abilities are recognised, celebrated and developed allowing them to achieve their goals in life.

Maria McNally

Hello!  My name is Maria McNally and I am really looking forward to becoming a class teacher at St Bernadette’s. I am currently teaching P6 at St Andrew’s Primary in Falkirk. I have been really lucky teaching at St Andrew’s as it is a great school and I have met wonderful children and staff over the last 2 years. Although I am sad to be leaving, I am also very excited about starting a new adventure with the children and staff of St Bernadette’s.

I am allergic to most hairy animals but have a gorgeous pet tortoise named George J He is 3 years old and always up to mischief. George has a very exiting two-storey wooden house of his own where he can relax and eat cucumber all day long to his heart’s content. However, he would still rather escape and go exploring around the house. I usually find him hiding underneath the fridge!

I have a lot of favourite books so it is difficult to choose one. I love reading anything by Roald Dahl and Jacqueline Wilson and I am also a huge fan of the Twilight and Harry Potter books. I have many favourite movies too…I love Harry Potter (especially the Deathly Hallows) and Twilight. I’m also a big fan of musicals and my favourite would probably be Oliver! As for my favourite song, it would have to be Maggie May by Rod Stewart.

My wish for St Bernadette’s is that the children feel happy, safe and included, and are excited to come to school to learn lots of new and exciting things.

Fiona Baker

I am Fiona Baker.  I am currently a P4 teacher at St Francis.  I did my probation year at St Francis and have worked there for three and a half years.  I also worked at Sacred Heart for 6 months.  My original degree is in Art.

I have 2 cats called Tiger Lily and Oliver.  One of my favourite pastimes is going to the gym.  I am interested in setting up the Cross Country after school club with the children who have requested it.  I have a few favourite movies and like the TV series 24 and Prison Break.

My wish for St Bernadette’s is for it to be very successful and the children and staff to be happy working together.  I am sure everyone will enjoy this exciting time together.

Miss Baker

Clerical AssistantFiona McKinnon

My name is Mrs McKinnon and I will be the Clerical Assistant at St Bernadette’s. I currently work as a Clerical Assistant at another school and I am looking forward to starting at St Bernadette’s very soon. My favourite book is ‘The Shadow Of The Wind’ by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. My favourite movie… is ‘Harvey’ starring James Stewart. Although I love a huge range of music, I think my favourite song would have to be ‘Terrified’ by Katharine McPhee. As I love to go cycling a cycle club would be a fun after-school club. Finally, my wish for St Bernadette’s… I wish that every day is a great day!

Support for Learning Assistants:

Sandra Galloway

Hi, my name is Sandra Galloway and I`m coming to St Bernadettes to work as a Support for Learning Assistant.  I have been a support  assistant for about twelve years, having spent most of that time at Sacred Heart Primary, where I`m still based.

I have had many pets, from hamsters, guinea pigs and dogs, but at the moment I have a horse called Dominic, and a goldfish with the uninspiring name of Fish!

My taste in books is varied. At the moment I`m reading a thriller by Mary Higgins Clark but also enjoy reading Freya North and Carole Matthews.

I have a couple of favourite films, both of which feature Richard Gere and they are Pretty Woman and an Officer and a Gentleman.

My favourite song is Dance with my Father by Luther Vandross.

I was part of the after school Drama Club team at Sacred Heart and enjoyed helping with rehearsals and performance nights. I also have an interest in art and craft activities if anyone is interested in this too?

I`m really excited to be coming to St Bernadettes and helping  it become a happy school, where we have a strong sense of community and where children love to learn and everyone feels valued.

Pamela Angus

Hi,my name is Pamela Angus, some of you may recognise me as one of the children’s liturgy leaders from St. Bernadette’s Church.
I am excited to be part of the Support For Learning team joining the school in August.

Over the last 4 years I have worked in St. Francis Primary but mainly I have been based in Bothkennar Primary School up until now.I love the sunshine and being outdoors,I love to cycle and walk and when the weathers not so good I go to zumba, so I would be happy to help with any of the after school clubs.I also love to cook and bake in my spare time.

In my house we have a guinea pig named Phudge who really belongs to my 10 year old daughter, but I have to say he loves me as i’m the one who remembers to feed him!
My favourite family film has to Home Alone 1, but at Christmas time I do love It’s a Wonderful Life!
I belong to a book club locally which encourages me to read lots of different genres, but i would say one of my favourites is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, but when I was a little girl I loved The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams!
I could be here all day trying to think of a favourite song as my music taste is so random, but of recent times I do love Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5!

Finally my wish for St. Bernadettes is that all the staff and children alike put their hearts and souls into enjoying this wonderful opportunity that we have all been given and in return make it a huge success we can all be proud of!

Mrs Angus

Kay McLaren

I’m Kay McLaren and I’m a Support for Learning Assistant. I’ve worked at Bankier Primary School in Banknock for the last 9 years and did some voluntary work at St Francis.

I have  fabulous new fish tank currently awaiting its first resident – hopefully I’ll be able to tell you all about it in August.

I’ve never read a Roald Dahl book I’ve not liked, but my absolute favourite is a short story called The wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.

I love Christmas so my favourite movies are all Christmas films: It’s a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol (any version) and Miracle on 34th Street.

My favourite song is My Life by The Beatles, but I also love anything by Paolo Nutini.

At Bankier Primary I helped run lots of sporting clubs including tennis, dodgeball, cycling and Frisbee. I also learned netball and noticed that some of you already play.

My wish for St Bernadette’s is that it’s a fun and happy place to work and learn.

Julie Heeps

My name is Julie Heeps. I am going to be a Support for Learning Assistant.  I am married with 2 children. I currently work at Larbert High School and have been there for 7 years. I am looking forward to working in a primary school!  I have a cat called Koochi.  I love reading all different kind of books, one of my favourite authors is Jodi Picoult.  My favourite movie is White Christmas.  My favourite song is Somewhere, Somehow by Wet Wet Wet, although I love all different kinds of music.  My wish for St. Bernadette’s is that it is a successful school, full of smiling faces!

Nursery Staff

Senior Early Years Officer – Nicola McCarter

My name is Nicola McCarter and I am the new Senior Early Years Officer in St Bernadette’s Nursery Class. I have over 12 years experience in childcare and have previously worked in Heathrigg, Airth, Stenhousemuir and Bainsford nurseries with Falkirk Council. I have a pet Labrador at home and her name is Daisy. My favourite film is The Shawshank Redemption. My favourite song is ‘Relight my fire’ by the fabulous Take That! My wish for St Bernadette’s is to have an outstanding Nursery class where everyone finds learning fun and everyone is made to feel welcome. I am super excited to see the finished school and nursery.

Miss N MCarter

Early Years Officer – Lynne Marshall

My name is Lynne Marshall and I am going to be the Early Years Officer in St Bernadette’s Nursery Class. I have a BSc in Biology from the University of Stirling as well as a HNC in Early Education and Childcare from Forth Valley College.  I have worked in a variety of jobs during my time as a student including working in a sweet shop and after school care. Since qualifying in 2009 I have worked within Falkirk Council as an EYO at Camelon Nursery for a year and then Rannoch Nursery for the past two years.

I have no pets but would like a little pug.  I love reading and I am a massive fan of Harry Potter, Twilight and celebrity autobiographies.  My favourite author is Dan Brown.  I also love film and one of my favourite films is Dead Poets Society.  It would be impossible for me to pick a favourite song as all music is great. I like anything from U2 and the Foo Fighters to Beyoncé and Westlife!! I have a passion for live music and enjoy going to music festivals in the summer. As well as books, film and music I enjoy travel, my favourite place in the world is New York.

My wish for St Bernadette’s is to become a fun, happy, caring school and a vital part of the community for children and families 🙂 

Hello!

Gillian Rooney

My name is Gillian Rooney and I currently teach at St Mary’s R.C. Primary School in Bo’ness.   I am going to be a class teacher at St Bernadette’s Primary and I am very enthusiastic to be working in the new, motivated, team of staff.  I am very eager to get to know the children and parents of our school and look forward to building strong relationships with them throughout the school year. 

Sadly, I do not have any pets at the moment, however; I did have a pet chinchilla.  His name was Charlie and he enjoyed taking baths in sand!  My favourite book is ‘Lord of the Flies’ by William Golding and my favourite film is ‘My Girl.’  In my spare time, I like to go swimming to keep healthy and also enjoy spending time outdoors and going camping.  I have a real love for nature and specialised in citizenship throughout my studies at university.  I would therefore like to take forward any citizenship or nature based clubs throughout the school year.

I envisage St Bernadette’s to be a resilient and strong team.   I believe that the pupils, parents and staff will work together to nurture a school ethos where every child is an individual and feels encouraged to develop to reach their full potential.

24 thoughts on “Meet the Staff

• Teachers have not been allocated classes for 2013-2014 yet. This information will be sent out to parents and posted on the blog when it has been finalised.

Mr Cloherty

1. who would be my teacher if i am in p6
    the reason i want to know is because i might be moving there

• The P6/7 teacher is Miss McNally. Look at the staff page to find out more.

Mr Cloherty

2. Wish Mrs Quinn and all staff every success in the new school.
    Best wishes from Kevin McKeever, Frank McKeever, and the team at Global Science

• Many thanks for your kind comment. 🙂 We are all so lucky to be in such an amazing building.

John Cloherty

• Thank you Kevin and Frank. Please feel free to pay us a visit for a tour. We will keep up to date with the events you organise.

Cathy
      🙂

3. Hi Mrs Quinn

Just a quick note to wish everyone all the very best for the opening of St Bernardette’s Primary School tomorrow.

We visited the school today and our son just cannot wait to get started tomorrow. He loves the obstacle course, and he thinks his class teacher is lovely (we agree!). The school is so bright, welcoming and warm, and is a dream for a parent to see their child attend.

We hope the sun shines for everyone tomorrow and that opening day is a huge success.

Best wishes

The Marriott family

• Thank you for your kind message. We are all very lucky to be in such a wonderful building. The opening day was a great success, there will be some pictures going on the blog so check back soon.

Mr Cloherty 🙂

4. I have loved reading your blog and wish you all great success and much happiness in your new school.!
    I will pop in over the next few weeks with some resources and will be happy to offer advice and assistance in any Road Safety matters.

• Hi Elaine,
      Thanks for your very kind wishes. I look forward to meeting up with you again. Pop in soon.

Cathy

• I will check this out and get back to you Elaine.

Cathy

5. Please take care of our favourite teacher,Mr Cloherty.
    We will miss him very much.

• Hello Alyx and Kirsten,
      Sorry we are taking your favourite teacher but I am sure the boys and girls in St Bernadette’s will be glad to have him. We will take very good care of him.

Mrs Quinn:)

• You are very lucky st.bernadettes. he is the best teacher ever! 🙁

• Hello Sandy and friend,
      Thanks for your kind comments – Mr Cloherty will b delighted! Our opening was great – thank you.

Mrs Quinn

• Hi Kirsten, Alyx and Sandy,

It is nice to hear from you all and thank you for your nice comments. I hope you are all enjoying high school!

Mr Cloherty 🙂

6. Hello Abbie,
    You are right all of the teachers are great!!! Mrs Baker is really excited about moving to St Bernadette’s. It wont be too long now.

Mrs Quinn 🙂

7. I think all the teachers sound really nice .I all ready know Mrs Baker i can’t wait

8. Hello Mrs Quinn,
    All of the staff sound very nice and I know two or three of them so it will be nice to know some people.

• yes i think the staff are very nice and i know mrs baker so i wish you luck phoebe ellie abbie and other people in st francis and other schools and i will see you ellie phoebe in high school

9. The staff seem very nice.There is some I know all ready and one of them teaches in my class. 🙂

• Hello Lucy,
      We are very lucky all of the staff are great! Have you visited the logo page to vote for your favourite?